Nerdlish
Never heard of it? That’s because I just made it up. It’s the new word for “Computer Speak” also known as “Computer Nerdery Talk”. This came to me after I fixed a computer problem this morning. I said to myself “I can’t believe that box had a duplicate IP address and all I had to do was grep the host table of the UNIX box, see what other workstation imported into Novell, track it down by the serial number, change the IP and ping out (This is abbreviated due to the time-limitations of most people’s attention span)”. That’s when it hit me… “Computer Speak” does not encompass the amount of Geekdom that I just experienced! A new word was needed, and Nerdlish was born. For those of you laughing at my Nerd Knighthood- don’t. Only nerds read other nerd’s Blogs, and chances are you have your own. If this is true that makes you something of a Nerd Padawan. You just have not come to appreciate the true power of the NerdSide. This sudden self-realization of my nerdness is
somewhat depressing. My only comfort is that at times I am able to break free from this stereotypical lifestyle and pursue awesomeness. In this case, I am going Scuba Diving this Friday where we will penetrate a 169ft barge sitting in 95ft of water. Seeing that wrecks are much more interesting/dangerous/you could die/OMG Barracudas are everywhere… than a reef dive, it should be good times.
somewhat depressing. My only comfort is that at times I am able to break free from this stereotypical lifestyle and pursue awesomeness. In this case, I am going Scuba Diving this Friday where we will penetrate a 169ft barge sitting in 95ft of water. Seeing that wrecks are much more interesting/dangerous/you could die/OMG Barracudas are everywhere… than a reef dive, it should be good times.

4 Comments:
I hope you got permission to use those "fancy" pics at the top of your blog, el cap-e-tan!
I think that the sad part, and the reality of it all is that even after engaging in a dive that is "much more interesting/dangerous/you could die/OMG Barracudas are everywhere", you will still only be your true self. Which is as you stated, "Nerd Knighthood" making you the Sir Lancelot of the Geek Squad. HOWEVER, it seems that to be cool you do need a certain degree of nerdness to survive in the social classifications that we define ourselves. How cool can you be if you don't know what an Email, Text message, or blog is. How "Nerdy" do you look when you don't know how to make your own blog page look "Cool" by doing all the nerdy things it takes to get that way?
So I think that in reality, you haven't really exposed yourself as the King of all nerds, but perhaps you have broken the barriers and truly defined what being "Cool" is. You may have well started a new Revolution where being Computer literate is the new status symbol of what everyone wants to be....
But no, it's not and yes you are right, you HAVE surpassed a level of Geekdom that even a 40th Level Wizzard from Dungeons and Dragons wouldn't attain in 100 years. But hey, at least you're funny, and it's not because we're laughing AT you...well at least not all of the time, just most of the time.
Well said 'ol boy... well said.
I wasnt going to take it this far-> "40th Level Wizzard from Dungeons and Dragons", but i think that added a nice touch. You are however missing "boots of levitation, and epic short sword with +3 melee rage"
Watch out for them sharks!
Ms girl
Post a Comment
<< Home