Monday, March 27, 2006

The Nerd Hatchery

Could there be such a place… the answer is yes. How do I know? Because I was there... Two weeks ago I was sent to a week long training class for Novell Zenworks Desktop Management 6.5 The details of my class are quite inconsequential, the real story is all the nerds that were being bred there. Yes, imagine an entire building full of mostly unmarried, poorly dressed, thirty year old partially balding men disappointed with their personal lives….becoming even larger nerds. These guys would go in as regular dorks, and after 5 days of instruction from the Darth Vader of Nerds and about 1000 pages of course material later would come out as Uber Dorks (this is the superlative of the word “dork”). The whole process reminded me of Jurassic Park when the “DNA stand” man was explaining how they make “baby dinosaurs”. [Random Quote] Lex: It's a UNIX system! I know this! [/Random Qoute] I enjoyed myself immensely until the end of the training when I heard myself say: “ So all I have to do is: Setup ‘03 server dishing out DHCP, install edir, Novell Client, C1, preboot services, then configure the workstations to automatically import into the tree so I can push policies to them?” The self realization that this transformation was happening to me was quite alarming. You always say “it can never happen to me” and the next thing you know your working late one day installing a standalone network on an old server you found thinking “who needs friends when I can be my own network admin?” I don’t really have a problem though; I can quit being a nerd whenever I want.

**Darth Vader of Nerds**

"Now eventually you might have dinosaurs on your, on your dinosaur tour, right? Hello? yes?" -Dr. Ian Malcom

6 Comments:

Blogger Levi said...

UH…how did you...there just for...look everyone recreates their favorite scenes from the movies. Some just have hand painted, 1:16 ratio miniatures to do it with.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

you know Mr. Steve, i just thought that levi was beginning to grow up because he removed some of his figurines form his dresser in his room. now i see it has only flooded over into his work space. what a shame. well, if you are impressed with his little people, get him talking about his 1:27 ratio of his spaceships he has. hey, maybe if your lucky, and ask real nice, he will bring them in and show you a recreation of how space cloaking and light speed work.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Levi said...

Explaining the fundamentals of jumping to light speed would take more time then most are willing to invest. Besides Jen, everyone knows a ship that size is too small to have a cloaking device.

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes the wonderful world of blogland is back! This is better than reading the funnies in the newspaper.

6:54 PM  
Blogger BreeHarmony.com said...

Dr. Phil i must admit that was a very entertaining entry my friend. and i didn't even kno they had conventions like that?? i need to get smart before Sunday think one of those would help??? My mom told me i need to pretend to be smart that nite and well nerds are smart rite?? lol

10:54 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

hmmm...so much for levi-blog-land-is-back.
"ITS A TRICK!! GIVE HIM THE MONNNNNEY"

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home