Monday, November 28, 2005

Getting Wet...

Once again, Scuba Diving reaffirms its title of “King of Recreational Sports” (This title was bestowed upon Scuba Diving by me… just now. If you can think of something better, just leave a comment so I can belittle you). Things were going great on our dive until I started floating upside down while moving backwards. It seems that the reef always gets in the way. The problem was the temperature though, it was around 77 degrees. You may say “You sissy little, flower picking, runny nose girl who cant even heel-toe downshift, that’s not cold at all” but I would say “O RLY? Last time I checked water conducts heat away from your 95 degree body 26 times faster then the air of the same temperature”. Needless to say after 40min I was using all available “methods” to stay warm. But that’s not how I got wet; we’re still building to that. Since I was cold and had ear problems, I sat the second tank out and opted to suntan on the bow. On our return trip home Robby joined me and we enjoyed cool beverages while talking shop. I had finally warmed back up, and even though the wind was blowing I was still roasty toasty. Then we hit the inlet… and other boats started to pass us. This is typically much fun since the boat rocks high into the air due to the wake of the other boats. These particular wakes were quite large, and the boat was rocking unusually high. Both of us are enjoying this brief excitement, and thinking: “Wow, what a great finish to a great dive”. It was at that moment a question formed in my head “Robbie, what prevents the boat’s bow from dipping into the ocean?” Unfortunately I was not able to ask my question, for at that time… the boat’s bow dipped into the ocean. As I see the bow and railing disappear into the water I’m thinking: “Wow, things look like they are going to get progressively worse in the next 5 seconds” True enough, 30 to 50 gallons of cold water washed over me and Robbie. At first we could not stop laughing at the inevitability that slowly unfolding before us. We were both thinking “Wow, should have seen that coming like me asking for seconds”. Then we realized we were wearing our dry clothes, and that it was windy, at that we were wet. Riding on the bow has since lost its charming appeal. This doesn’t mean my bow riding days are over… far from it. Sitting at the back of the boat smelling diesel fumes and watching horrifically overweight men squeeze into skintight wetsuits makes getting wet on the bow a risk I’m prepared to live with.


P.S. I’ll post a pic of me diving later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenna said...

you know, i wouldnt knock the fat guys squeezing in to wet suits becase one day thats going to be you...

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure that the both of you werent' standing in front of the bow, one behind the other shouting, "I'm king of the World!"? Maybe that's how and why you got so..."Wet"...BTW I checked out the vids you sent... Maybe it'll be funnier when you're here watching it too.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home