Monday, December 05, 2005

Monkeys

I guess my affinity with the pretty little primates started with me watching Ace Ventura. Having a “helper monkey” is good for lots of reasons. The great thing is that you can make the monkey (or little mike in this case) do all the things your to lazy to do. I think having him tie shoelaces would be invaluable. Not to mention the ladies love helper monkeys, they’ve been know to say “is that a darling little helper monkey you have tying your shoes?” and I would say “Sure is, say hi Little Mike…wait NO! NOO the bunny goes UNDER the log Mike UNDER the LOG!” That’s not the only use for monkey slaves but lets move on to the fact that they throw poop at their enemies. Now tell me, what says “I really don’t like you” better than throwing your poop. I know an ex-marine that told me a story of a guy who, while in Panama “harassed” (they can’t shoot them, so they devise other means) the local monkey population. The monkeys fought back using a time tested method of showing their feelings; they threw their poop. I can imagine the monkeys talking amongst themselves “Hurry Clark hand me another banana, I’m starting to run dry here” Now insult is a monkey throwing poop at you, injury is having some land in your uniform without your knowing and walking around with it for miles, only to have the rest of the platoon beat you up because you smell of feces.

It’s a shame monkeys don’t have opposable thumbs. I would love to see a monkey trainer try to get one to build a house out of Legos. Since they don’t have the fine motor skills to place the individual blocks, their frustration would be quite entertaining. That would be just as funny as me trying to pass a college algebra test. Imagine what they could do if they had an opposable thumbs though. Well for one, they could probably post a comment on this Blog, or even build mud based dwellings for themselves. Next thing we know they’ll be ordering the roast duck with the mango salsa. I just don’t see why car companies cant build a car that can be operated without opposable thumbs, I mean how funny would it be if you saw a van load of howler monkeys fly through an intersection with “Born to be Wild” playing full blast. Actually, that sounds like a good idea for a Disney movie released straight to VHS.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... Monkey's eh? There's a whole lot that could be said about that... But we'll keep it clean, THIS time. What happens when you get a monkey mad that has Diarrhea? Do they throw brown colored water balloons instead? And as far as the cars go, I think that we have enough driving problems even WITH opposable thumbs. I mean, just the fact that we live in Florida alone we're at greater risk of auto accidents, due mostly to the fact that we have a high ratio of "Elderly" drivers....and of course the heavy influx of New Yorkers.
But yeah, I think it'd be cool to see you with a monkey. Although you might be dissapointed when people say "Look mommy, it's a monkey!", and then find that they were talking about you and not Mike, or whatever you want to call your monkey...

10:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What did you mean when you said they don't have opposable thumbs?
This is what I found....
Primate – An order of animal having well-developed binocular vision, opposable thumbs, and large brain. There are two suborders – prosimians (lemurs, lorises, galagos, etc.) and monkeys and apes. The monkeys and apes may further be divided into Old World and New World species. New World species are all monkeys, and have nostrils facing sideways. Old World species include apes and humans, and have nostrils facing downward.

Do any primates have opposable thumbs?
Napier and Napier define opposition as:
"A movement by which the pulp surface of the thumb is placed squarely in contact with - or diametrically opposite to - the terminal pads of one or all of the remaining digits" While an opposable thumb is one of the hallmarks of humans, it is not unique to the species. What is unique to Homo sapiens sapiens is the broad area of the contact achieved between the compressible pulps of the index finger and thumb. Not all primates are capable of opposing their thumbs. The necessary movement for true opposability is the rotation of the about its own long axis. Without this rotation the movement of the thumb towards the palm is a form of pseudo-opposability where pulp-to-pulp contact of the thumb and digits is not possible.
Source: Napier and Napier. The Natural History of the Primates. MIT Press, 1985.

There are four categories of thumb movements determined by the degree of independence of the thumb. They are:
1) Non-opposable thumbs. Examples: tarsiers, marmosets
2) Pseudo-opposable thumbs. Examples: all prosimians, Cebidae
3) Opposable thumbs. Examples: Old World monkeys, great apes, humans
4) Opposable, comparatively long thumbs. Examples: Hylobatidae
Source: Ankel-Simons, Friderun. Primate Anatomy. Academic Press, 2000.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Levi said...

Here’s what I mean:

This is an excerpt from your comment-
“The necessary movement for true opposability is the rotation of the about its own long axis. Without this rotation the movement of the thumb towards the palm is a form of pseudo-opposability where pulp-to-pulp contact of the thumb and digits is not possible.”

So while it is true that Great Apes and a few Monkeys have true opposability, most of our furry friends in the animal kingdom have the so called pseudo-opposability (they can’t make the thumb touch their fingertips). It’s that rotation of the thumb inwards that makes driving a car so easy for us.

I can see why you might be mislead since the picture I choose is of an ape. A more accurate picture of the type of monkey I’m referring to is found at the top of my Blog in the banner.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say though, that was a lot of good research on Kyla's part. She gets an A+++!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

In your defence, Spider Monkeys don't even have thumbs.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha. What a bunch of crazy monkeys.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

ummm...levi, you know, when your proven wrong, sometimes its best to just admit it. i have to give it up for kyla and all her reaserch, it sounds like she knows her monkies, which is not surprising considring she hangs out with you.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Jenna I havn't even met you and I already like you.
So Levi How does it feel to have everyone turn on you in your own blog?

3:33 PM  
Blogger Levi said...

NO.. NOT COOL Jenna, NOT COOL... Good grief, you learn how to trick out your blog, and all of a sudden you think your like the Borg Hive Queen of blogs. You come off your high horse, and next time you wanna rumble, post something other than cute pictures of your pets. That’s right! You keep it up and ill challenge you to a Blog-Off!

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...It's like the geek version of You Got Served.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's sad about the "You Got Served" thing is that I'm actually anticipating on seeing what happens....

4:15 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

now, now, my furry little firend...lets not get your panties all in a jumbel, and dont sound so surpised, us girls gota stick togeather. you want to rumbel? well i only have one thing to say to you...BRING IT ON!!! and dont forget...i know where you sleep...and the girls you like...hehehe

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is up with everyone and monkeys? everyone loves them, i've personally never been too keen of them. anyways ecka sent me the link to your blog, and i have to say your blogs are quite interesting. lol =]

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home