Monday, June 05, 2006

I Love Sugar

Over the last 15 years I have been conditioning my body to consume large amounts of sugar in short amounts of time. This allows me to take full advantage of any opportunities where sugar is widely available, such as a bowl of candy at a restaurant. My insatiable desire for the effects of sugar started shortly after I learned to talk. My mother would make me a bowl of Cheerios because they were healthy. I wanted a bowl of lucky charms and I viewed my mother’s Cheerios ruling as unfair and shortsighted. This being the case, I would slip out over to the neighbors who had a plethora of sugary cereal and eat to my little heart’s content, much like a rabid squirrel would act after finding a pile of acorns. It started out innocent enough but soon I was skipping out on supper for a late night sugar cereal fix. I didn’t understand the concepts of addiction, but I did know that I could stop eating sugar whenever I wanted. Over the years things started to look better and I thought I could control the sugar. That’s when I discovered Krispy Kreme. Every Saturday morning after service, I would buy strawberry milk and a box of glazed donuts. I would eat as many as possible (about 4 or 5) without freaking out. After about 10min on the way home I would pass out in a sugar induced coma. Finally I moved away from the temple of sugar sin and I thought those days were over… until I relived it last weekend. After service we stopped at Panera for a break (“break”). All I did was order a cinnamon crunch bagel with cream cheese, a cheese pastry, and an orange juice. Next thing I know I’m waking up like 4 hours later. The feeling you have though when you wake up, makes it all worth while. It’s that feeling you have when your blood sugar level is still maxed out, but not to the point where it affects your fine motor skills. Yes, that’s the spot…complete euphoria without the blurred vision or loss of short term memory.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nice, Well done!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Vegan Runner Mommy said...

If you really want to know what all that sugar consumption is doing to you... well let's say if you did you'd me rather sick! (hint: it's not good)

11:35 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Between your addictions to ice cream, pie, fun dip, and sugar in general-with a random chapstick fetish thrown in-it's amazing to me that you don't just stay in those sugar induced comas...not that I disagree with your attraction to any of them.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

levi,
i always tried to be there for you to help you though your hard times. i knew this addiction was a bad one, and it not only affected you, but the whole family. every night, as a lay there trying to sleep, i would have horrible visions of you dying horribly of a drastic, unexpected sugar overdose. yes, they are rare, but it still haunts my thoughts. dr.phil (your idle) always says that the first step to recovery is admitting your problem. good job levi. im proud of you accomplishments. keep up the good work. and remember, im always here for you...together, we can fight this addiction. ill start by throwing away your sugar cereal that you have stock piled in the top of the pantry. You’ll hate me in the morning, but by the time you get over this ordeal, you’ll be thanking me.

love,
a very concerned little sister
jenna

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you said that you wanted to gain some weight... I mean you probably could of used some supplements and stuff, but I doubt that you'd get the same high...

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, there are these big piles of sugar down by the docks in Vancouver I think you should know about ;-) There might be a pile for both of us, and as a bonus-- I hear most of it ends up in Hawaii!
Cheers!

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

levi, like all things you can blame this on your mother. of course she is the one who made you go to the godiva counter 20 times asking for samples for someone else. i think you might have even had changes of clothes too.

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home